Remodeling Magazine’s 2020 Cost vs. Value Report takes a look at national average costs for 22 home remodeling projects.
It compares construction cost estimates for each project with the likely resale value. To get those resale estimates, the researchers surveyed real estate agents in 101 U.S. real estate markets, asking them these projects’ value when a remodeled home is sold.
Some of these are “upscale” jobs, others are “midrange” in cost. Although regional results vary, nationally, none of the jobs here can be expected to totally recover their cost.
Here, from bad to worst, are the projects that make particularly poor choices for payback.
11. Bath remodel (midrange)
10. Bath remodel (universal design)
9. Roofing replacement (metal)
8. Major kitchen remodel (midrange)
7. Master suite addition (midrange)
6. Bath remodel (upscale)
5. Bathroom addition (upscale)
4. Bathroom addition (midrange)
3. Major kitchen remodel (upscale)
2. Grand entrance (fiberglass)
1. Master suite addition (upscale)